All About Trey

Life, Travel, Adventure

Lord of the Flies

Woke up at the Crocodile Hotel, had breakfast, and then we were off for Kakadu Part 2!  As I mentioned before, it's the rainy season and so much of the park is flooded and a number of roads are closes.  But my tour company is pretty savvy. 


We headed off to the East Alligator River section of the park passing through the lush green savannah woodlands.   Spotting a wallaby or two as we drive by.  After about 20 minutes, the road ends.   In water.   Basically there's a long stretch of road that is closed.   But there are some flat bottom boats waiting for us.  So we hop aboard for another mini cruise through the flooded plain area.   We were basically sailing through a forest and it was really kind of cool.   But the flies.  OMG.   I hate flies.   And they were everywhere.   Apparently there are over 1000 different species of flies in Kakadu.  And I'm fairly certain they all came to bother me.  And why do they keep buzzing my ear.   It looked like I was having an epileptic fit every two minutes trying to brush the flies away.   Lovely.


After we landed on the far side of the park, our tour company had staged a 4x4 bus for us to use.  With the exception of the rangers and the aboriginals, we were the only people in this section of the park.  Which was kind of cool.  So back in the bus and we headed to Ubirr.  Ubirr is another aboriginal site with art work, but it's on this rocky outcropping from the escarpment.  And so once we parked, we climbed to the top of the outcropping for a really fantastic view of the valley, the escarpment, the flooded plains, etc.  It was so pretty it could have been from a movie.  And it actually was.  It was the setting for one of the scenes from Crocodile Dundee.  So I'll probably have to find that on Netflix and watch it again sometime.  Afterwards, we climbed down to look at the rock art.  Again, it was very cool and it's hard to imagine that some of these paintings are thousands of years old.


After we checked out the rock art galleries, it was bus, boat, and bus again to head back to the hotel for lunch.  After lunch, we went to the main visitor center and then headed back to Darwin.  It was a long day with a lot of time in busses.