All About Trey

Life, Travel, Adventure

Orlando (Part 1)

So last weekend, Museum Man and I went down to Orlando.  It was for a conference, which was pretty interesting, but I'll get to that next.  I want to focus on the non "work" part of the weekend.

So I had to go on this trip.  But Orlando?  John and I spent last Christmas in Orlando with my sister and her family.  I had first met his aunt in Disney.  John just loved Disney and we had been there several times.  After Christmas, my niece and nephew called John "Mr. Disney".  He was just a wiz at planning every aspect of the trip.  Which parks to go to. Which rides to go.  In what order.  When (early!) and where to make dining reservations.  He didn't need a map.  He just knew it all.  He even read the Disney food blog which I called his food porn.  How could I go to Disney without John?

But I had to go.  So I asked Museum Man to go with me.  And as luck would have it, John's sister was having her bachelorette weekend at Disney at the same time, so I would get to see her and John's aunt.  So it was sort of like having John with me.

We flew down Thursday afternoon and did the shuttle to the hotel.  I loathe the shuttle.  Disney's Magical Express is really the way to go.  But we were staying where the conference was at the Shades of Green.  My sister stayed there over Christmas and called it SOG.  It's the Armed Forces hotel at Disney and it's a really good deal.  So I couldn't explain.  After we checked in (want to guess the color of the room decor?), we caught a bus over to Downtown Disney and ate at Paradisio 37.  Dinner was good and I had a couple of margaritas to get the weekend started off right!  After dinner we wandered around Downtown Disney a bit.  Who knew MM was a Lego fan.  Too funny.  Here's a pic of me getting buzzed with Buzz Lightyear.

Friday I had my conference, but Friday night we went to the Magic Kingdom for Mickey's Not So Scarey Halloween Party.  It was something John and I had done on our first trip to Disney and I thought it would be fun.  We got there and bee-lined to Space Mountain.  No line at all.  And I had the front seat.  John would have been so proud.  After Space Mountain, we did the Space Ranger ride where you shoot at targets.  I smoked MM.  Then off to Thunder Mountain.  After which, my stomach started to feel a bit weird.  But we headed over to watch the parade.  Which is just really awesome.  My favorite part is when the grave diggers drag their shovels along the concrete and sparks come up.  Pretty cool.  After the parade, we hit Pirates of Carribbean and then it was time for the fireworks.  Which even MM thought was awesome.

Not awesome?  The strollers.  Seriously, it's like the stroller Olympics.  I was trying to cut through Fantasy Land, but it was just insane.  And if there's one thing I've learned, is that parents with strollers can be ruthless.  They will cut you if you cross them.  Ah yes, the happiest place on earth.  Until someone with a stroller snaps.

Saturday was full with the conference and then the dinner.  Bur on Sunday we met up with John's sister and his aunt to do the Epcot Food and Wine Festival.  Now the first time John and I did this, I called it the Disney Death March.  It was mid October, but it must have been 90+ degrees and it was just crazy hot.  And after 7 hours of walking, riding, eating, and drinking, I needed a time out.  And let me tell you the crap I caught for wimping out from John and his family.  Thankfully MM is allergic to getting up early and with my foot problem, I didn't feel like making it a death march.  We got there around noon and then proceeded to eat and drink our way around the world showcase.  Favorite foods?  The beer-cheese soup at the Canadian Pavilion is always excellent.  The ravioli in Italy.  The coq au vin in France.  Potstickers in China.  Favorite drinks?  The iced champagne at the champagne and dessert pavilion.  The Grand Marnier Slushy (with an extra shot) in France.  The Seven Tiki Mai Tai from Hawaii.  Let me tell you, it was all good.

It was really a fun afternoon and it was great to see John's sister and her aunt.

We were supposed to leave on Monday.  But then along came Sandy.  So our Monday flight was cancelled and we were put on a Tuesday flight.  So we stayed at SOG an extra night.  But then our Tuesday flight was cancelled and they said they could get us back on Thursday.  Thursday?  Umm, no.  So I worked with US Airways to get us to Charlottesville, VA.  And then we drove the rest of the way home.

So it was quite the adventure in Florida!